Friday, May 28, 2021

Women Empowerment Movies and Series


Women Empowerment Movies and Series


"Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. … It shouldn't be that women are the exception" 


-Ruth Bader Ginsburg


The First Wives Club (1996)

This is an all-time movie you never get tired of watching. This movie touched my heart and helped me to become the woman I am right now. The film is about 3 women who were manipulated and abused by their ex-husbands. They joined forces, and what did they do? Take revenge. A very special point about this movie is the song "You don't own me" by Lesley Gore, which resumes the whole movie. 


"You don't own me

I'm not just one of your many toys

You don't own me

Don't say I can't go with other boys

And don't tell me what to do

Don't tell me what to say

And please, when I go out with you

Don't put me on display 'cause

You don't own me

Don't try to change me in any way

You don't own me

Don't tie me down 'cause I'd never stay"




Queen of Katwe' (2016)

This is one of the Disney movies that I appreciate because it is not about "the power of friendship and unrealistic things." The movie portrays a poor Uganda girl that works hard to be the international chess champion. 




'Erin Brockovich' (2000)

About a single mother who discovers is that the company is trying quietly to buy land that was contaminated by a deadly toxic waste that the company is illegally dumping and, in turn, poisoning the residents in the area.  




Was It Love? (2020) 

A teenager named Ha Nee looks for a partner for her mom Noh Ae Jeong Ae Jeong, a movie producer, who has been single for 14 years. She is a strong woman who balances her life between love, work, and her daughter, doing it perfectly. 




Manuela Orozco Echavarría, step 10