Tuesday, September 12, 2023

The Internal Deflagration: Horrific Story






My comrades and I were abducted in the gasoline station across the carnival, we were exasperated by a strong smell of petrol that invaded our systems. A small mustardish room, armored windows, walls full of handprints and some eerie auras with no face were there, then I looked around to find my comrades being recumbent on the dirty floor, and so was I.


I Myself was wondering what would happen if I had declined the invitation to this carnival; still, with a bit of signal on my phone, I wrote to my parents to pick me up as fast as they could before something or someone comes. We were lacking clean oxygen and suddenly we all got overwhelmed by the petrol smell, the only thing we could do was nod, obey and survive.





Carnival?


A small piece of paper slid under my door, and there it was, an invitation for the most expected carnival of the year, except our city normally doesn’t organize these types of events, and it was 1987 since the last carnival arrived, rightfully this was awkward and mysterious. I asked my comrades if they had received the invitation, which they had; moreover, with the same feeling, they considered this was a suspicious event. 


October 30th, the day came, a big orange tent, colorful lights, plus a large entering row could be seen through the car window, in the nick of time I was there with my comrades.

In spite of the fact, that it was a carnival, we could feel eyes on us, not any type of eyes, killing eyes which as soon as we put a foot in there, they focused their attention on us. It was weird to see many people with shiny, orange hooded coats which followed us during all our stay; furthermore, when we turned, they immediately disappeared among the crowd. People acted unearthly, as they were not there, not in their own bodies, not fully aware of what they were doing, and we could see that in their shadowed eyes; however, we decided to enjoy this night, to ignore these mysterious affairs. 


Attractions were quite fun, food was fairly good; besides, they had a competition between guests and my comrades; nonetheless, as we were walking we started seeing some people running to the exit, people pushing themselves to get out, which I didn’t understand at that moment.


In a matter of time, everything was back to normal, everyone walking, eating, playing and having “fun”, same as my comrades, except for one, Zoe. We separated, it was just Zoe and me. Just after, we started walking, we saw a red spot on the chest of many people around us, which expanded with a lot of speed. I grabbed Zoe’s hand and commenced to run to any corner or room that at least we wouldn’t be seen by anything or anyone.





Hide


Red lights around us, a small bathroom with red curtains, there we were, crouching on the floor, containing the urge of crying, and wishing this is just a nightmare. I saw through the window and everything was empty, so I decided to get out, immediately my comrades arrived and warned us of the actual situation.


The whole tent was empty, lights turned off and eventually I started to freak out; nevertheless, my thoughts were interrupted by a cold wind going through all my body. I turned around and saw a person with an orange hooded coat, immediately we started to run.


Breathing heavily, with tears running down our faces, we ran through all the tent with no luck, until we saw a fence which led to the road, along with, we tried to climb this fence with misfortune, adding the fact that somehow, some of my comrades were at the other side, it seems like they were able to go, but not us. We were trapped, we failed, and soon, we’ll all be dead, afterwards we began to feel dizzy, seeing blurry, and finally falling. 


Going back to our senses, we woke up in a gasoline station across the carnival, with a strong smell of petrol, that intoxicated our systems. We were abducted, and suddenly someone came, the person with the orange hooded coat, taking off his coat, realizing it was one of my comrades, Marco. With tears streaming down, I asked him why, why did he do this ridiculous thing?


Although he didn’t answer, he approached to give each one a cup of intoxicated fuel. “Drink it” he said, and unbelieving what he was saying, he repeated “Drink it, or dead, dead, dead”. In the attempt to call my parents.


I saw how everyone gave up, and started drinking the intoxicated fuel, which left me with only one choice…”If I drink it, would you let us go?” I said, Marco nodding at me as an answer; furthermore, I drank it, feeling how I lost control over my own body; even so, in just a few seconds, we were alone in the road, there was no tent, no Marco, and no gasoline station, just grass and road. 


Marco marked us, having half control of our body, actions and thoughts, we were cursed for life, up till someone can break the curse, the internal deflagration. 


More coming soon…


By Silvana Calvo, Step 9