Tuesday, September 12, 2023

You’re on Your Own, Kid: Horror Story




It’s another day pretending we are just common teenagers at  high school, Liam and I are tired of  faking something that we are not. Our father constantly warns us by telling our secret, even though we have promised him to keep silent all of the time. You might be asking yourself what our secret is, well the truth is that my twin brother, Liam, or I would be the leader of the family witches coven.


Our life is at risk everyday, as a matter of fact once our own cousin tried to assassinate us. It was a lonely night, the tree leaves were bouncing from side to side, and it was full moon. Suddenly we heard a noise coming from the first floor, in fact our mom went downstairs and she found my cousin Giuseppe with a giant knife in his hands.


Immediately my mother knew what was going on, this was all about power. My mom instantly took us to her room, and locked the door with a magic spell, but this couldn’t avoid Giuseppe finding us. He kicked the door with infinite anger; therefore,  the leftovers of the door broke all the windows around.


At first he was confused because he wasn’t able to see us, since our mother hid us under the giant bed. After looking all around the house, he finally was able to find us. He heard our desperate breathing, he raised the bed, and  cruelly stabbed my mom in her stomach. She almost died that night, and it wasn’t because of her injuries… She used a super strong old school witch's spell.


Only high level witches could perform the trick correctly, since it absorbs a lot of energy that could even lead you to death. With the spell she teleported us to the front of the house and we escaped. Giuseppe wanted to kill us, because if we died that night he would have been the leader of the family coven. Liam and I are really worried, due to the fact that the day of the last battle is closer than we imagined.


By saying last battle I’m referring to our birthday, that is the day to decide the next leader of the coven. The days passed and it is finally our day. Dad explained to us how the leader will be chosen “ you will have a power fight, a supernatural brawl. The weakest twin will die and the other will absorb their magic and become the captain of the family” he said. We went to an old, extensive wood full of sizable trees, it was abandoned and dark too, not even a scream would be heard.


All our family was reunited to watch the event. Liam was really sad and I was sad too, the whole way to the woods we were crying loudly. I knew he was so much stronger and powerful than me, besides him I’m powerless, even though I’ve been training for months. He was known for being a hilarious magician. “ I’m so sorry Rebecca, this isn’t fair” my brother said. The Great War began, rapidly the sky turned gray, the air was cold, and it started raining.


There were lightning bolts everywhere in the sky, we started to use our powers, and in a couple of minutes my nose started bleeding, this meant that I was getting weak. I noticed that Liam was taking all of my magic and swiftly an explosion occurred. When I looked around every single member of my family was dead, including my brother Liam. I saw my mother laying in the grass all covered in blood. I freaked out, I had nobody.


The woods passed from being green to being red with all of the blood nearly, I had won the fight, but which family I was going to lead? I'm on my own now.


The end


Author: Andrea Salgado, Step 9