Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Avenged Shanty


The Avenged Shanty


Walls and ceilings were so meticulously painted black, resembling the biggest coffin ever
built, the air was freaking chilly, all the atmosphere made her believe that  there was something wrong happening soon, that strange feeling  invaded the old shanty as if any sinister ghostly spirit was about  to jump on Becca.

All of a sudden, strong whistling wind gusts made the walls breathe as a dying horse after a long race, like crackling logs in a chimney, everything there was seemingly falling down; despite that, she endured the creepy minutes and with her light torch in hand, she could barely see everything on the right position. After this realization, Becca felt really nervous for the first time since she came to live with her uncle Thomas, after her parents’ death.

In those happy times, Becca, Thomas, Richard, her father, and Mary, her mom, were all
living together in Greendale, a little town in Scottland. This place was surrounded by medieval castles that looked like giants always defeating the northern winds coming from the glacial ocean. Green pastures were the best for the gazing sheep, her father’s business.

Once she discovered her uncle and mom were having an affair, was the worst issue ever faced for a young lady, being only 14. She didn’t know what to do, but she knew something should be definitely done, up to in a windy fall afternoon, she was enjoying looking at the playing sheep pasturing on the green hills, but when she turned around, she saw her father with a rifle, about to killing his wife, her mom. He didn’t utter any word but her mom madly shouted when she saw her bowels in her hands.

My father had already unveiled the terrible truth of being cheated by his brother and wife; therefore, I got he went mad and decided to shoot her dead. That rumbling sound is still in my mind,  tonight the wind is making those strange noises that remind me of that gloomy afternoon when my father took my mom off of me.

The worst thing was to abandon Greendale and coming to live in this old shanty on top of a rocky hill in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a green meadow. My uncle told me to forget what happened during that afternoon two years ago when my father also took his own life. That suicide commission has always crept my memories of a nice past when we all used to be a current family, when I didn’t know that I was certainly blessed.

Now I am in my uncle’s custody, he gained it legally not having another alive relative, but every day was a challenge for me. My uncle told me that this painted black shanty was the only way to keep the warm environment inside; the scarce sunrays were heating better this way.

I still do not forgive him, I wasn’t  strong enough to confess the family judge about the secret relation my uncle used to have with my mom…If I had only been more courageous…If I hadn’t just repeated what my uncle told me to say… But I was so ashamed and devastated.
Now, I am used to living in a kind of oblivion, lying to myself in order to survive being with that uncle who told me his worst punishment was to be alone, not having either his brother nor his beloved sister in law, who had become his mistress for the last two years.

 I remember being 12 when I first saw their interactions were suspicious; a kind of flirting was notorious for me… However, I remained silent, like now. I had felt a strange sensation that made me get goosebumps  in those days. It was like if a kind of evil were inside home and I wouldn’t be able to talk about my suspicions.

Tonight, I am feeling the same oppressing force that doesn’t allow me to tell anything. A
satanic figure finally showed up with its reddened eyes, no legs, able to fly, and I dared to light it… Oh, my God! This is my father, I just told myself... Mute, as I was, I couldn’t warn my uncle of this, but unexpectedly, my evil ghostly father started talking to me:
-My dear daughter, he said- You are now secluded in this ugly shanty, but I knew my brother’s real intentions, so I came over to take revenge upon him in order to save you. He was planning to make you his woman for him to manage all the fortune he might get out of selling all the possessions I purposely left you.

He went on telling- I knew what they were doing, I mean your mom and your uncle, so I made the resolution to punish them both, but I never thought he was so bad to take you to this solitary forgotten place in order to abuse from you, now that you are 16.
Dear father… What have you done? What happened to uncle Thomas?
The ghostly Richard expressed- I have caught him while sleeping and I made him take a gun he had and he killed himself by firing it against his chest.
Father… Now, I am alone on my own. How Am I going to survive?

While listening to the noisy wind guts, Becca also thought of going to the nearest town and denounce what had happened, and so she did. The family judge made her attend a boarding school up to she was a responsible 18 old adult.

From that day on, Becca and her father were living together in the old shanty only during summers, but nobody knew it… It is said that every man who dares to come close to that shanty is badly taken out by a strange force that cares for Becca, up to she can start handling her own life and her large inheritance.

The End!

By Miss Odilia Pérez
E.L.A. Teacher