Friday, February 22, 2019

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell





Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life - and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.
Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to. Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words ... And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

I have no words to explain how much I loved this book, but I am going to try to transmit what I felt throughout this amazing journey, even though I know, I am never going to be able to express completely how I feel about this book.
Let’s start with the main character, Cath, a fangirl, I have never felt so close to a character before, she is a fangirl, just like me, she loves fan fiction, just like me, she even writes a TRULY famous fan fic called Carry On, Simon! She is a little shy, loves to be in her comfort zone, but most importantly, she is afraid of change and terrified of showing her real self to the world.

Resultado de imagen para simon and baz fanart
Simon Snow and Baz




Cath has a twin sister, Wren, and honestly, I don’t know how to feel about this character. She is a girl tired of being part of a duo, tired of being “Cath and Wren”, now, she only wants to be “Wren”, and she is ready to make that change.

At some point, I was able to understand the need she had of creating her own new life and starting from 0 away from her sister, new friends, and new hobbies. But I couldn’t help to hate her, because I felt she was just abandoning Cath, she knew she was her sister’s best friend, she knew Cath has problems making new friends, and she KNEW that Cath would suffer trying to leave her comfort zone and Simon Snow, but instead of being a support in this “transition” she just LEFT her and became a problem herself. Cath loved Wren more than anything, more than Simon Snow, and leaving Cath behind was a stab in the back that left a mark for forever.

Definitely, Cath was a character I loved, but the character I will miss for the rest of my life in this book is Levi.
Levi is a character that I didn’t expect to love, he literally stole my heart, at first, he was just there, smiling way too much, and his intentions weren’t clear, but then he became close to Cath, and became the support that she needed. Their romance is perfect, sweet without being diabetic, caring and loving without being gross, they are just perfect.

Resultado de imagen para cath and levi fanart
Levi and Cath



Definitely, this book changed my life, made me see things from a different perspective, taught me to embrace my “fangirl self” and help me noticed that I am not alone in this wonderful world of literature and that there are other people out there that understand me.




By: Camila Orozco and 
Maria Camila Pinzón, Step 9