Friday, March 8, 2024

Ace of Hearts

 


“I will protect your heart at all cost” I said as we were watching the sunset on November 7th, 1985. “You are the sweetest man ever” said Kati, a blonde, hazel eyed gorgeous girl with almost faded freckles all across her face. She was a dream; however, our relationship only lasted 5 days because my work wouldn't allow me to keep dating her. This was already my 12th relationship this year and as much as I love to talk about all of my failed situations, I only want to emphasize my relationship with Jaqueline “the love of my life”. Some say it was a horror story, I say faith just didn’t want us to be together.


It was March 23, 1985 as I entered the busiest club in the city of Nottinham. There she was, Jaqueline Wheeler, a caucasian, fit and gorgeous woman who captured my eye immediately. Her eyes gazed around looking for a man who stood out and didn’t fit with the stock broker, recently divorced stereotype and as soon as her eyes caught up with mine, I knew I had won her over. I’ll be honest, I’m quite rich and attractive, what's not to like? We then got some drinks and talked about our careers and goals in life. “What’s your name, Mr handsome?” she said “Dederick, I was named after my great grandfather  ”. 


After our first conversation I knew I was going to steal her heart, like I always do. I wasn’t going to rush into anything, she was different and I knew everything with her had to be special. The first couple of dates were in either parks, restaurants or arcades. Before I knew it, I was attached to her. She saw faith in my future like nobody else; nonetheless, I knew how all my relationships ended, none of them could talk to me ever again. Despite knowing my work could affect our being together, I fought all chances because you only find your person once. 


The first time she ever came to my house she had cookies, COOKIES. Everybody knows that a way to a man’s heart is by his stomach and those cookies were something I would want to have for the rest of my life. Sadly, after 3 weeks of dating, the very anticipated breakup happened. Ours was a forbidden love. My work had called me and just as expected I had to do some things in anticipation of. This relationship made me doubt my career choices.


Everything after Jaqueline was strictly the same routine. I meet women, make them fall madly in love with me, steal their hearts, and essentially we never speak again. This routine starts to feel bland as I narrate it, but the thrill of it makes up for it.


Back to the present, after Kati and I were done I was crying while remembering all of my failed relationships this year and how each one of them had a piece of my heart and I had a piece of theirs. Sometimes when I remember them, I go to my office and look at their hearts. Wait, I feel like I forgot to tell you something, OH YEAH! I’m an organ thief. I stole their hearts, literally. It’s ok though, they are in a way better place than the cruelty of the earth. It’s a very good business and brings money easily. Poor women, I could proudly say that they helped me become who I am. Jaqueline has such a special effect on me that I decided to keep her heart close to me, in my nightstand. Our love was a forbidden love, but I realized I didn’t want to take her for granted, hence I'll keep a reminder of her for the rest of my days. Jaqueline, “I’ll protect your heart at all cost”.


The end!


Author: Victoria Merchan

Date: March 7th, 2024