Friday, January 31, 2020

Recalling A Colombian Novel


The Vortex

Once I read a book about the jungle,
The Amazon’s rainforest wasn’t friendly,
So from leaves I made a bundle
I felt as I was always thirsty
But my bed, despite soft, was always dirty

Everything was just a Vortex
Where animals, characters, and nature seemed so complex
So many trees, but one had the highest vertex
Where birds were placidly in context
The only one estranged by it was me, a Forex
Taken from the rubber trees there was natural latex

And somehow I felt as if I were also lost
But not in those book’s letters
It was a strange feeling of being estranged
I would like to have feathers,
I was lost amidst everything, but engaged.

Animals singing in deafening choirs,
Others shouting trying to set off the fires
The whole nature was a triumph
For the spirit, it was like being on a trial
And error display of God’s no bias.

Arturo Cova, a young poet in those days,
 And Alicia lived in Bogotá, a paradise, 
Both in love escaped to the plains,
That became a  purgatory plenty of pains
Left in search of the forest and indigenous without any vice.

But jungle became just hell
Where betrayals were their daily bread
No people could ever escape
Without it resounding in their heads 
What a Vortex! It's depicted as a trap to end up dead

We have chosen to live in concrete jungles
Even Rivera went to live in one of them
There, we are hurt with many crinkles
These new cities are also very noisy,
Our thoughts cannot resound, we are so clumsy
For having chosen to deforest for the profit of a few men
It is easier to live there, it is cozy
Have we really made  the greatest choice, then?



By Miss Odilia Pérez
E.L.A. Teacher
Jan. 29th, 2020