Friday, September 13, 2019

On Unexpected Visits


GHOSTLY STORY


Good Morning... I listened. I turned around and an old woman walked with a dark smile that showed the few teeth that still hung inside her mouth. Yes, Can I help you? I said, of course, yes!. All right I looked at her, like a shadow passing by my side. I watched her walking slowly; taking something that I did not understand what it was, such as a feeling of sorrow, or the concern to reach a goal. I was not intrigued anymore, and I moved those thoughts away. 

I cleaned the entrance of the Bar, before the patron arrived. I took a bucket of water and threw it on the floor, and some splashes fell on the old woman's back, waving her little arms like branches by the wind and trembling like a rusty spring. I approached worried about her condition, and she whispered: Sure, everything was fine. I tried to dry it with my clothes, and then, taking her arm, I helped her cross the sidewalk.

 Walking beside her, I felt she was touching a bundle of bone sand skin, wrapped in old rags of smelly stenches. I looked for a bench and helped her sit down. I looked at her, and I said: Excuse me, I didn't see her. Good morning. She smiled, and a fainted glow sprang from her gaze, from the bottom of her wrinkled and bald eyelids. Clear, yes, all is good.

 I felt bad for her decrepit appearance, and her tired and hissing voice, which looked like a ghostly breeze crossing the teeth of her mouth. 

I left her on the bench, with her drool that fell down her lips and with her eyes that looked beyond. I felt a chill in my bones when I thought I saw something mysterious behind the old woman, like the sound of an abyss. He seemed to laugh at what I thought, as if to say that we would all fall into the same hole. I went back to the bar and continued with my job, before our boss arrived. 

From time to time, I looked at the old woman, and there she was, with her head spinning when the wind blew her, like a paper star. People began to wake up, and little by little, the old woman seemed to be one more person who encouraged and colored our town. I entered the bar, and after a while the owner arrived, greeted her and asked me: Did anyone come? Nobody, Sir. Only an old woman who passed earlier, but then left. Did the old woman speak to you? He said in a trembling voice, which made me worried. Yes, she told me that everything was fine, of course, good morning. Why, Sir? His look scared me. 

At that moment, we saw someone entering the bar. She
walked slowly and silently. As she approached, everything around us began to grow and grow, and so did she. Suddenly we saw that her dark shade expanded and sheltered us, until everything went black. My boss listened to me. Why is everything black? And suddenly, I heard the old woman's voice in the darkness: Good night, night. Yes, Sleep well.


THE END

By Andrés Argel, Step 10