Friday, September 20, 2019

Mystery short story


SECRETS


It was about 12 o’ clock, I was alone, my assistant, who
accompanies me in all cases had already gone home, I was about to leave the office when I received a call, was an unknown number, for a moment, so I thought that was my assistant, who usually called me if I had finished the paperwork or if I had found some other clue. I answered, but they did not answer to me after a long time.

When I began to hear sobs that I soon discovered that they were from a woman, when she calmed down I found that her husband, had taken his own life, apparently long before she arrived, she received the news from her daughter, the youngest of the two kids, she gave me her address and then finished the call, after I agreed to take this case. 

I left the office and went to where I requested, arrived at a small cabin on the outskirts of the city, when a young man arrived, he opened the door and attended me, his mother, the woman who called me late at night, her face was a disaster, seemed to have cried for hours, dark circles of a woman who does not rest enough, day and night working, so I noticed so far, she told me that her husband had no job was unemployed since few months ago, her son Jason, still did not have decided on what to study, her daughter Emma was in elementary school, 4th, her father helped her with her homework. 

Jason was a boy who spoke little, was not very sociable, instead his sister was a girl who liked to talk and talk, and also talking to her beloved stuffed rabbit. The girl was in her room, when I asked her what she was doing she told me that nothing, listening to what her rabbit was telling her, I asked her and she told me that the rabbit said, "Daddy is fine "what surprised me, maybe the little girl had schizophrenia and her mother didn't know it. I finished talking to the woman. The next day, I went to my assistant, I started to collect data about the man.

Name: Armando
 Age: 47
 Wife: Elizabeth
 Children: Jason (19) and Emma (10)

Weeks passed and we had no more clues, he was fired, but by cutting employees, the man had a hard time finding new work, or at least one similar to the previous one. He had to have a good job to support his family, many weeks later, after Mr. Armando's funeral, I met his son Jason, visiting his grave. It seemed to be approaching a storm, but he did not flinch, he stayed there, he seemed to know something that we did not, I approached him, I observed the grave. He seemed to look at the infinite, he said nothing.

I took him to my office after a while, he told me that his
mother was unfaithful to him with other men, that his father had learned after the night in which his wife had not returned home, weeks passed and his mother did not arrive until the next day, his father every day looked more shattered, to the point of taking his own life, that his mother had not thought that he would not realize and that this it wasn't going to happen. 

The mystery had been solved, it was solved thanks to what Jason said of the person who least expects me to say something. The next morning, I told Mrs. Elizabeth, after I told her, she was embarrassed, feeling guilty about her actions, and feeling that she took a father away from her children, at night I talked to my assistant about this, we talked, especially Jason. 

There is something that does not fit me, the next day, I found him again in the graves, he walked through each of them with a smile, apparently I ended up with a case, and I started another ... Jason ... what else will this family be hiding?

TO BE CONTINUED…

By Laura Vanesa Ferreira Gutiérrez

Step 9th