Thursday, March 28, 2019

Forever Together

Forever Together


The smell of alcohol was so pungent, the monitor's beeps were so boisterous. If only I could stop the surgeon's scalpel if I could just make the slightest sound…but no. I couldn't. "Cut deeper, pull harder." 

I desperately wanted to scream or even move a finger to signal the doctors that I was awake, but the muscle relaxant I'd received prevented me from controlling my movements. I was in the hell. 

After 1 hour I heard a baby crying, my baby Abigail. I woke up and the first thing I did, was to scream " I am awake! " the doctors couldn't believe it, but not the fact that I was awake during surgery, they couldn't believe that a 6-month- baby was crying.

Following 3 months I was in a taxi, with Abigail in my arms. With that little nose, smile, hands, feet, the most beautiful eyes I`ve ever seen, I never thought Abigail was going to be the reason for my nightmares. 

It was raining, I was in the living room with Abigail, now she was 6 years and was a beautiful healthy girl. She was playing with some toys and  she started giggling, she looked at me with huge spooky eyes and asked "Mom, can you please cut my leg?" I started to panick, but I just said: " No, baby, go to sleep".

It was 1 a.m and I couldn't sleep. I was looking at the floor until I heard someone chuckling, but it was like a clown, and later someone twittering like a little bird. I was scared, so I ran to the kitchen and took a knife, I followed the sound, and it was from Abigail`s room. I started opening the door but I realized that my socks were wet, I look down. It was blood. 

I opened completely the door and my heart almost stopped beating. Abigail didn't have any of her legs and arms, she was on the floor smiling and looking at me "Mom, now I am happy, I don't have legs or arms, I am beautiful...JAJAJA" and she died, with a frightful big laugh on her face. 

I didn't know what to do, I just started crying, until I heard that laugh and in front of me was my daughter, she was standing normally, but in her torso and with the knife in her mouth.

I started running, but I don't know why or how my daughter was in my back and started saying: "Now it`s your turn mommy" the next thing I know is that blood was coming from my left arm, no arms, no legs, no life. "Now mommy and I are going to be forever and ever together". 

By Manuela Orozco, Step 8.