Thursday, March 28, 2019

Chernobyl, My Horrid Home.

Chernobyl, My Horrid Home.

On April 26th, 1986, one of the greatest environmental catastrophes occurred. The Chernobyl accident was a nuclear plant explosion that occurred at the Vladimir Ilyich Lenin nuclear power plant (3 km from the city of Pripyat, present-day Ukraine). This accident left the territory ravished, and when it happened it was evacuated, ending with Chernobyl desolated and it is still almost like that. It is calculated that for at least 300 thousand years more it'll be dangerous for human beings. 

But what about the animals?, insects and other living beings
in the area?, how would they know that Chernobyl should be evacuated? Maybe Chernobyl is not as uninhabited as we think. There are not a few legends that speak about creatures deformed by radiation. And neither are the people who venture into the area, looking for those creatures of necrotic appearance, remembering the already famous "Zombies".

 And this story is not very different from those legends, but what prevents them from being the same is that I was there. Get comfortable and let me tell you firsthand how everything happened, this ... this is my story. 

I was like any young person, I was looking for excitement, adrenaline, adventures and risks, that's why together with some friends we decided to go. We were 4 friends in total, in the morning of the first day everything happened relatively normal: we visited places, we took photos and we walked in general, for half of the day and the afternoon also happened naturally, but at nightfall even if it was the same, the environment had changed. 

It was not something that could be percieved with the senses, at least not those who teach in school, it was something different, it seemed that what the air felt was thicker, almost to the point of pain when breathing, the sounds of the trees, plants and generally around took more presence, so far I had not heard anything.

After a few hours, I was completely paranoid, and this caused me an insult which annoyed me the night. But suddenly, when everything seemed to be silent, a strong blow overturned the mobile home in which we had arrived. I do not know exactly what happened next, I had a mental lacunae of what happened, I think I felt like a doll in a washing machine with all the turns the vehicle gave, I remember myself shouting, I remember my agony ... I remember ... suffering. 

I do not remember much more after that, only that when I
woke up I was on what was left in the motor home. Where the driver had to go was a giant hole, whatever it was that had attacked us must have been monumental. "What had attacked us?" I repeated in my head and a question floating in my mind, where were the others?  and what had happened to them? 

Flooded by adrenaline and courage, I went out in anger, looking for them, but when I left, what I saw, all the strength and adrenaline vanished, the tetrid image was like a kick in the stomach, a kick from a beast capable of devouring a motor home, that was the kick. The image, that horrible and horrible image will be recorded in my memory until the end of time. 

Every single detail, no matter how small and insignificant, I remember and remember to perfection, and each one feels like a painful stab to my brain. The earth, wine-colored, completely bathed in blood, and the sky, I had never seen a night so black and absolute in my life, not a single cloud dared to appear. And one, only one of my friends lying on the floor, all over the floor. 

That filthy beast had used my friend as if it were a toy, and had scattered all his limbs on the ground, so that the body and the head of my friend did not seem to have died together. 

Right after,  I felt nauseous and was petrified before such a terrifying scene. That image is enough to not want to imagine what had happened to others and much less see it, or that monster that left me marked forever with the memory of his penetrating gaze. 

Since that day I have not heard from them, nor from the beast, nor from the rest of humanity. From time to time, I can see the light, but I prefer the darkness. I have been stuck here, this is my punishment now and forever, Chernobyl will be my home.

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA.

By Mario Sandoval, Step 8