Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Trustworthiness: A Pillar of Character



Humans beings are a social species that need to rely on cooperating with others to survive. Humans need to surround themselves with people they can trust in order to grow and that’s why trustworthiness is important. Trustworthiness is the quality of being deserving of trust or confidence. It is the basis in which every relationship is build. Now you may be wondering, if this quality is this important, how can I be trustworthy?

  1. Always tell the truth . This can often be embarrassing or weird. One way to take care of others is to be honest with them. And one of the ways to show that you are a leader, is to never lie, no matter how difficult it might be.
  1. Having the guts to do the right thing even when it is harder than doing the wrong thing or not doing anything at all. This shows that you’re a great leader and people will start following you.
  1. Build a reputation that you’re a person in which people can count on



Six months ago I lent some money to a friend whose name I’m not going to mention. He told me that he would pay me by the end of that month. I thought it was okay and waited until then. When it was time for him to pay me, he started to give excuses and saying that he would pay next week. He did the same thing over and over again and ended up paying me almost 5 months later. This whole experience made me think that he isn’t trustworthy and I didn’t do him any other favor that was related with money.


In conclusion, to be trustworthy you have to keep your promises and when a person gives you his trust, you should be loyal. When trust is lost, it is very hard to regain it. 


By Simón Duarte, Step 10 Blue.