Thursday, March 28, 2019

Have You Locked Your Door?


Have You Locked Your Door?

"Blair, don't forget to lock the door". Since I have memories I've always heard those whispers, they've always saved me. I don't know if it is just because I'm mute but they have become my friends,  they tell me what to do, some people think that I am crazy, but without them maybe I would be dead, I'm always safe, 'cause I'm mute I've always communicated with my parents by e-mails, they tell me that here in Chicago I can't trust anybody and that's a true.

Two weeks ago I had been feeling guarded since I turned on the lights at 4 A.M, until I locked my doors and turned the lights off at 10 P.M, every time I feel someone is closer and closer, four days ago my friend Samara was wildly killed, and 1 week ago, my boss was threatened to death.

-4th of July of 2003-
It was 6 P.M, I was going home and I heard a shot, so I ran to my house, every time the shot felt closer... I have always locked my door but that day I didn't hear any whisper, so I thought that I have locked before, sometimes you should not believe in your instincts, that was just the beginning of the worst independence day of my life.

I was scared, so I decided to go downstairs to get a cup of coffee, but I heard someone outside, soon when I looked to the window there wasn't anyone, but when I saw my door opened I instantly ran to lock it... too late... he was there, a tall man dressed in a suit and a mask with the U.S flag, in his left arm he had a gun.

I was shocked and scared, so I tried to lock the door but he
was too strong for me, I was trying to lock the house but he stopped me, he shot my leg I was crying and shouting in pain, but then I ran into my house to call the police, he stopped me by hanging me with his arm, but when I could not defend myself, I cut him with the knife and took him out of the house, I was scared a mute girl could not do anything against a serial killer faster than a spectre.

In those few minutes,  I saw my leg and tried to send an e-mail to my family to say goodbye, maybe that would be my last day on this earth, but those two minutes didn't help me enough, he was behind me pointing to my head with his gun, and I felt how angry he was.


A false move and I could be dead, and again those whispers told me; "Didn’t  I tell you to lock your door?", "you are so easy to cheat", " you even believe that we were your friends". My anxiety controlled me, so I shouted; "you are all traitors, liars!!". He reloaded his gun, but before shooting me he told me "Dear Blair, didn't your parents ever warn you not to trust anyone?"
 


By: Antonella Cantillo, Step 8