Friday, February 15, 2019

Black Dog


Black Dog

Several years ago, we had our own business, building custom made horse trailers, thing that everybody wanted and apparently, we were pretty good at it. In January, 2006, I was late again delivering a trailer, since I had been working night and day to get the trailer finished, so that the customer could make it to a programmed show.

After working for 30 hours straight, it was finally finished. I hitched it up to the car, and headed off on the eight hour drive to take it to the customer, so ten hours later, I arrived. I was exhausted; then, the new owners offered me a bed for the night. I was fed, showered, and then I went to sleep.

The next day, the customer wanted me to do some additional work on the trailer. We took it into the depot where he worked, and I completed the modifications he requested. At around six pm I was finished, so the customer was happy, and I headed for home. Nothing moves as fast as a vehicle that is driven home with a lighter load, through the back roads of southern New South Wales, it seemed I flew.

Six hours, a packet of cigarettes and many coffees and energy drinks later, I pulled over for a pit stop about 25 kilometers from home, where there was a spooky place with no moon. Even in the warm January night, I felt shivers and I still feel shivers now, just thinking about it. I got back in the car and pulled back onto the road; then, I realized that I was not alone...There was a, a, a queer presence.

I looked into the rear view mirror but there was nothing there, so I looked to the passenger seat where a black dog, sinister to me, appeared: Its body was half of a dog, but its black head was of a man, just a long an angular body like a whippet’s one. Its eyes were glowing red, like embers from the fires of hell.

I pushed the accelerator to the floor because I had to get out of that place; however, I heard a voice…

My father’s voice: “Slow down, mate” I slowed, dropped to the speed limit, then even lower, but I crawled home. The presence was still there. I could feel the blackness of its sight seeping into my skin, though I could not look over to the passenger’s side because I could not, terrified as I was.


Finally, I made it home, got off, walked from the car when I felt like running. It had taken me an hour, but I did not look back; nevertheless, it was too late. I had brought with me the darkness home and It was here to stay for a while… always on the lookout.









The end!


By Andrés Argel, Step 9